Overview Process…Overview Of The Divorce Mediation Process
Overview Process…What is outlined here is intended only to give you a general sense of the process. Your own mediation will be tailored to your individual situation and determined by your needs.
Contact mediator. Schedule initial half-hour consultation.
Both spouses meet with mediator for consultation. Schedule first joint session.
Overview Process…During mediation
Week 1: First joint session.
- Provide basic information about your situation.
- Define parameters of negotiation.
Weeks 2 & 3: Individual sessions (“caucuses”).
- Explore your issues individually with mediator.
- Receive income, budget, and net worth forms.
- Discuss emergent matters.
Week 4: Future parenting (joint session).
Week 5: Budget and support (joint session).
Week 6: Dividing the assets (joint session).
Weeks 7 & 8: Mediator prepares Memo of Understanding.
Overview Process…Transition and post-mediation
Within 30 days:
- Individual attorneys review Memo of Understanding.
- Attorney for initiating spouse prepares Property Settlement Agreement, discusses with other spouse’s attorney, and files for divorce.
Within 60 days of filing:
- Divorce is finalized by judge in brief uncontested divorce hearing.
The benefits of divorce mediation are powerful and clear:
- Mediation saves you considerable time and money.
- Mediation makes you more committed to the agreement since it is you who works through it instead of your attorneys.
- Mediation gives you a sense of control over the process and allows you to maintain your dignity.
- You—not a judge—determine what is fair distribution of assets/liabilities, spousal support, custody, parenting time, and child support.
- Mediation helps you learn to talk to each other, enhancing communication for a more cooperative future relationship, especially in your working partnership as parents.
- By applying the principle of fairness, mediation maximizes the benefits for everyone and proportionally distributes the sacrifices.
Call 201-847-0814 to schedule your divorce mediation FREE introductory consultation in one of my offices in Wyckoff, Totowa, Verona or Hackensack, New Jersey.