Divorce Mediation…Why Mediation
*Why Mediation…This does not include consultation with your attorneys or preparation of your Property Settlement Agreement. However, since your attorneys act as legal advisors during the mediation process and don?t have to spend numerous hours preparing for trial as in a contested divorce, your legal fees will be dramatically less. You will generally save at least the expense of one attorney.
Divorce Mediation…The benefits of divorce mediation are powerful and clear:
- Mediation saves you considerable time and money.
- Mediation makes you more committed to the agreement since it is you who works through it instead of your attorneys.
- Mediation gives you a sense of control over the process and allows you to maintain your dignity.
- You—not a judge—determine what is fair distribution of assets/liabilities, spousal support, custody, parenting time, and child support.
- Mediation helps you learn to talk to each other, enhancing communication for a more cooperative future relationship, especially in your working partnership as parents.
- By applying the principle of fairness, mediation maximizes the benefits for everyone and proportionally distributes the sacrifices.
Divorce Mediation…Communication in Contested Divorce vs. Mediation
Divorce Mediation…This graphic clearly depicts why mediation is faster, less stressful, and more affordable than contested divorce. In a typical divorce, spouses don’t talk directly with each other, leaving their lawyers to negotiate for them. Mediation breaks down this serious communication barrier and sets the tone for cooperation. With the guidance of a capable mediator, spouses actively work together to reach a fair agreement on the essential issues of support, assets, and parenting.
A mediator will bring process and content expertise to your negotiations. He will move you swiftly and productively toward a mutually agreeable resolution by:
- Setting an agenda.
- Starting from areas of agreement to establish a foundation then addressing areas of controversy.
- Providing relevant information and examples from experience as needed.
- Averting misunderstandings and clarifying intentions.
- Helping you see your spouse’s perspective without losing sight of your own position.
Call 201-847-0814 to schedule your FREE New Jersey divorce, divorce mediation or collaborative law introductory consultation. Joseph C. Noto is a Bergen County, Passaic County and Essex County NJ Divorce Attorney law firm. The family law firm concentrates on: Collaborative Divorce Attorney Services and Divorce Mediation Services by an experienced Divorce Mediator with family law offices in Hackensack, Wyckoff, Totowa and Verona, New Jersey.
We serve the following States, Cities, Zip Codes and Counties:
New Jersey (NJ), Bergen County, Passaic County, Hackensack 07601, Bergenfield 07621, Cliffside Park 07019, Dumont 07628, Edgewater 07020, Elmwood Park 07407, Emerson 07630, Englewood 07631, Englewood Cliffs 07632, Fair Lawn 07410, Fairview 07022, Fort Lee 07024, Franklin Lakes 07417, Garfield 07026, Glen Rock 07452, Harrington Park 07640, Hasbrouck Heights 07604, Ho-Ho-Kus 07423, Leonia 07605, Little Ferry 07643, Lodi 07644, Lyndhurst 07071, Mahwah 07495, Midland Park 07432, Moonachie 07074, New Milford 07646, North Arlington 07031, Northvale 07647, Norwood 07648, Oakland 07436, Old Tappan 07675, Oradell 07649, Palisades Park 07650, Paramus 07652, Park Ridge 07656, Ramsey 07446, Ridgefield 07657, Ridgefield Park 07660, Ridgewood 07451, River Edge 07661, River Vale 07675, Rochelle Park 07662, Rockleigh 07647, Rutherford 07070, Saddle Brook 07663, Saddle River 07458, South Hackensack 07606, Teaneck 07666, Tenafly 07670, Upper Saddle River 07458, Waldwick 07463, Wallington 07057, Twp of Washington 07676, Westwood 07675, Woodcliff Lake 07677, Wood Ridge 07075, Wyckoff 07481, Bogota 07603, Carlstadt 07072, Allendale 07401, Closter 07624, Cresskill 07626, Demarest 07627, Haworth 07641, Hillsdale 07642, East Rutherford 07073, Montvale 07645